Authentication Problem with Proxy

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Markus <list at mail.mafis-ing.de> wrote:

> Hej,
>
> I face a little troublesome problem using PJSUA. I have just a little test
> LAN,
> including 2 hosts using PJSUA, one server running a SIP proxy including the
> registerar.
> The server as registrar as well as as Proxy requires authentication.
> Now, if I make a call from one client to the other, having specified the
> registrar and
> the proxy. The config is like this:
>
> --id sip:first at domain.com <sip%3Afirst at domain.com>
> --registrar:123.100.200.300:5060
> --proxy:123.100.200.300:5060;lr
> --realm *
> --user first
> --pword xyz
>
> --add-buddy sip:second at domain.com <sip%3Asecond at domain.com>
>
> (2nd config on the 2nd host vice versa, of course)

Sorry for the late reply. The config above is not valid (registrar and proxy
is not URI) but I think that's just typo since you said you can register
successfully.

So, registering works fine. If I look in Wireshark at the exchanged
> messages,
> everything works, the clients first send the INVITE message, a Status:407
> "Proxy
> Authentication Required" response comes back with the valid credentials,
> they are filled into the new INVITE message and the registration is
> successfully
> completed.
> So, that's the setup. Now I come to the point where I am going to establish
> a call
> between the both UA's. The proxy gets the INVITE message for the call,
> telling me
> (as before, see above) Status:407 "Proxy Authentication Required". So far I
> get it.
> The next (new) INVITE message is created, inclunding now the credentials,
> and send
> by the calling UA. It reaches the server, as I see in Wireshark, but no
> more action
> can be observed. My Wireshark messages (as the Debug output in PJSUA does
> as well)

Okay.

> looks like:
>
> (server==SVR/first host==FIR/second host==SND)
>   Source  Desti.  Message
> 1.  FIR     SRV    Request: INVITE sip:second at domain.com<sip%3Asecond at domain.com>,
> with session description
> 2.  SRV     FIR    Status: 100 Trying
> 3.  SRV     FIR    Status: 407 "Proxy Authentication Required"
> 4.  FIR     SRV    Request: ACK sip:second at domain.com<sip%3Asecond at domain.com>
> 5.  FIR     SRV    Request: INVITE sip:second at domain.com<sip%3Asecond at domain.com>,
> with session description
> 6.  SRV     FIR    Status: 100 Trying
> 7.  SRV     FIR    Status: 408 "Request timeout"
> 8.  FIR     SRV    Request: ACK sip:second at domain.com<sip%3Asecond at domain.com>
>
> That is the whole message exchange. No INVITE ever reaches the second host.
> I tried
> several approaches, also entering the realm by hand, not using the
> wildcard, using
> IP addresses in the sip:URI. Absolutely no success. I checked, if the
> gained
> credentials are exactly the same, and they match. The network setup works
> just fine,
> when there is now authentication in the proxy. I really wonder why? I am
> pretty new to
> PJSIP, so I might lack the important part what I am doing wrong.

Actually from client/PJSIP point of view, there don't seem to be any
problems there, i.e. it does what it's supposed to do. It's the server that
fails to forward the request, so you should troubleshoot the server instead.

Common reasons for this problem are unreachable Contact address registered
by callee (although it doesn't seem to be the problem here since you can
call it when authentication is disabled), or the INVITE packet is too big
that it doesn't pass certain router. Not sure if this applies to your
problem though.

 -benny