DTMF

On Feb 21, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Benny Prijono wrote:

> On 2/21/08, Norman Franke <norman at myasd.com> wrote:
>>
>> Although, in my experience using a tonegen often results in tones
>> that are
>> not understood by a number of other systems. I'm not sure if this
>> is due to
>> audio volume issues or what, but we've had a number of systems
>> that can't
>> understand some or all digits from the tonegen. Sending SIP INFO
>> messages to
>> our Cisco to then generate them always works.
>
> The tone generator heavily depends on the quality of sine wave
> generation, and in PJMEDIA, I use a sine wave emulation which I
> thought should give good balance between quality and speed. With this
> method, speed definitely is much better than using math.h, but
> quality, well turns out not to be perfect. I'm aware that the longer
> the tone is, the more deviation it'll have from the perfect tone.
>
> Have a look at tonegen.c for more info. Thanks for the feedback
> though.

Perhaps there should be an option to use a better one, since this one
is incompatible with some remote systems. Oddly, it seemed some
digits would work, like zero. Nine seemed to be a constant problem,
which uses a higher frequency according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/DTMF

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.