soap server call order

Hi. I have used soap a little bit, with Jira, and decided to try making a
soap server.

I got a simple test server to work, and had two functions, one to return a
value, and another to modify then return the value. (I was using a script
global variable). The problem though was that even after modifying the
value, later calls resulted in displaying the original value.

I then figured that I would try a login function instead. the server
function checks a mysql table to verify username and password, and then a
random login string is created, and sent back to the user.

I had the other function take the login string as a parameter and check the
db to see if it was valid, before returning the data. (so username and pass
don't have to be sent with each call.)

The problem is that the string doesn't seem to be storing in the db until
all the client calls are finished.

What am I doing wrong? It seems like the calls aren't happening in the right
order or something.