How to populate fault detail with xml string

Apologies if this has been covered (I did search - honest!), I've also had a
good look at the php docs (a bit thin on the ground on this aspect) and of
course a search on google ...

I am running php5 SoapServer and need to return a soap fault with the detail
node filled with XML...

So, to throw a fault I can do:

new SoapFault("Validation", "Validation Error", "Actor");

Which is fine, the problem is when I come to fill the detail node, I can
pass in an array (which PHP will convert to xml, with it's own formatting),
however I would really like to pass in my own XML from a string...

Something like:

new SoapFault("Validation", "Validation Error", "Actor",
"<ItemInError>Title</ItemInError><ItemInError>FirstName</ItemInError>");

Which I thought would work, however SoapServer seems to run htmlentites on
the string so I get
&lt;ItemInError&gt;Title&lt;/ItemInError&gt;&lt;ItemInError&gt;Title&lt;/ItemInError&gt;
at the client

Am I missing something obvious or can someone give me a nudge in the right
direction??

Any help gratefully received

Nick