Soap Method Call Woes!

hi guys,

i'm having a real problem trying to get my soap client to send a correctly
formatted envelope to the web service i need to use.  below is the request
that i'm using and the response received.  i'm assuming that the problem is
the fact that the function name is being closed prematurely
(<ns1:LoginRegisteredUser/>) when it should be wrapping the username and
password parameters.  i get this response using both the login name direct
($client->LoginRegisteredUser) and using __soapCall also.

Request :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:ns1="http://hiddenforsecurity.co.uk/webservices/";><SOAP-ENV:Body><ns1:LoginRegisteredUser/><UserName>some.name@blah.co.uk</UserName><Password>test</Password></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

Response:
<Result><ErrorMessage>Parameter UserName
Missing</ErrorMessage><ErrorNumber>10240</ErrorNumber><Source>Contacts Data
Access
XML</Source><Module>XMLLogin</Module><Method>LoginRegisteredUser</Method></Result>

i've read that this is a php bug, along with the fact that it ignores the
first parameter (which also seems to be happening to me. i need to put a
'null' as the first element of my param array or only the Password param is
sent... the 'null' seems to shunt them up passed this ignored element so as
to include the UserName param).

is there anyway that i can build and send the envelope manually so as to
test my theory/implement a solution?  i'm considering using nuSoap, which i
used a few years ago but assumed things had moved on from there and don't
wanna have to regress...  any ideas/pointers gratefully received as solving
these problems is really urgent!!!

thanks for listening,

rob ganly