ssl cli php: SoapClient error

Hi

I am not able to connect to an wsdl endpoint if I using an ssl url in a php
cli script.

$client = new SoapClient("https://api.foo.com/webservices/foo.asmx?WSDL";);

The above call generates a few warnings and then a few fatal errors: Below
is the first warning.

Warning: SoapClient::__construct(): Failed to enable crypto...

The above url works if the "https" is changed to "http". Also if the script
is made to run under apache the https url works.  cURL is enabled on the php
5.1.2 build.

I can find very little about using an ssl endpoint for a php5 soapclient in
a cli script.

Any clues would be very much appreciated...please.

Thanks