Failed connection causes cascading libxml-related warnings?

Good morning!  I'll try to describe a problem I'm having and ask if
anybody reading this list is familiar with it or has had a similar
experience.

I'm working in a dev environment on my PHP5 framework that incorporates
the standard soap, DOM, and simplexml extensions.  There are some data
updates done thru our J2EE app using web services - and in my dev
environment, this morning the dev J2EE app was not running, and one of
my soap connections to retrieve a WSDL got refused.  This caused errors
something like:

Warning: SoapClient::__construct(http://devblahblah/foo?wsdl)
[function.--construct]: failed to open stream: Connection refused in
/home/foo/php5/engine/lib/default.php on line 66

Warning: SoapClient::__construct() [function.--construct]: I/O warning :
failed to load external entity "http://devblahblah/foo?wsdl"; in
/home/foo/php5/engine/lib/default.php on line 66

Fatal error: Call to a member function __getLastResponse() on a
non-object in /home/foo/php5/engine/edgelink/mns.php on line 245

Whatever, this is normal.  What is not normal, though, is what happened
next.  I now get intermittent warnings from anything libxml-related, all
with the same basic message:

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): supplied argument is not a valid
Stream-Context resource in /home/foo/php5/engine/bin/foo.php on line XX

Warning: DOMDocument::load(): supplied argument is not a valid
Stream-Context resource in /home/foo/php5/engine/lib/xem.php on line 87

During any given request-response, if these warnings happen at all, then
they occur on every call to load a SimpleXML or DOM instance (either
from a file or from memory).  If the warnings do not happen, then none
of them happen.  Maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 executions produce these
warnings.

(they're only warnings - that is, the relevant DOM or SimpleXML instance
is still instantiated successfully with the correct XML content
contained therein.)

Uh... Wtf?

Cheers,
Nick Eby