Dealing with indistinct complex type definiton in existing WSDL

I have been attempting to create a SOAP client to consume services generated by an established server. When making use of any function which retrieves information as anything except single values, I encounter an error:

   *"SOAP-ERROR: Encoding: object hasn't 'schema' property"*

Obtaining the function and type information from an existing SOAP server via:
    $client = new SoapClient($wsdlUrl, $opts);
$reply = $client->__getFunctions();
    var_dump($reply);
    print "\n\n";
    $reply = $client->__getTypes();
    var_dump($reply);
    print "\n\n";
Generates:
  [2]=>
  string(59) "GetCountriesResponse GetCountries(GetCountries $parameters)"
  [4]=>
  string(47) "struct GetCountries {
 ds ds;
 string status;
}"
  [5]=>
  string(46) "struct ds {
 <anyXML> schema;
 <anyXML> any;
}"
  [6]=>
  string(55) "struct GetCountriesResponse {
 ds ds;
 string status;
}"
  [7]=>
  string(46) "struct ds {
 <anyXML> schema;
 <anyXML> any;
}"
From what I can learn of the implementation of the server, this "ds" structure is very similar to ADOdb's /*ADORecordSet */structure, or more exactly the fields hash array of the record set.

The question is: How does one make use of the *SoapVar *call to construct an appropriate schema / type definition to keep the SOAP extension happy?

Deepest thanks,
 JT McDuffie