PHP5 SOAP - method call with attributes

Hello, I am using the PHP5 soap extension and would like to make a method
call to this soap interface:

<SearchRequest [sortBy="blah"] [sortAscending="blah"]>
  <query>...</query>
</SearchRequest>

I would like to supply the sortBy and sortAscending attributes.

But I can't see how to do it using __soapCall and there is precious little
reference to attributes in the doco.

If it is possible I would be grateful for any advice or pointers.