SoapClient, Apache, Windows, SSL

I'm brand new to Soap and SSL.  I have used SoapClient functionality
built within PHP to successfully call a web service using its WSDL.
So, I feel fairly comfortable about that.  However, I am now working
on a project that calls for me to call a web service and authenticate
myself using a digital certificate.  I have what I think is the
correct certificate(s) from the certificate authority, but have no
idea how to install and pass it to the web service I am trying to
call.  I am using Apache 2 on a Windows machine, and coding in PHP 5.
I've read a bit about openssl (which I actually used to create my CSR)
and mod_ssl, but beyond that can't find explicit instructions for how
to accomplish my task.  My server doesn't need to do any certification
of any requests, I just need to authenticate my requests to the web
service I am trying to call.  Is it as simple as populating the
"_local_cert" property on my SoapClient object in PHP?  Do I have to
enable anything in my php.ini or httpd.conf (apache config) files?
Does Apache have to be configured with reference to my certificate and
keys?

Thanks in advance for the help.  I hope what I'm trying to do is fairly basic.