Handling errors

I don't know if this is a SOAP question or just a general PHP question but
when I construct and new SoapClient object with a wsdl that cannot be found
(i.e. the server is inaccessible) warnings and errors are generated. Instead
of having those print out and execution stop I'd like to catch them and
redirect to an error page or do something else. I've tried use @ when making
the client but execution still stops instead of just not printing out the
warnings. Any ideas how to continue execution with knowledge of errors?

Thanks,

Patrick