Validation Practices

Apologies if this topic has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything recent in the archives.

I'm working on both server and client for a service that will eventually handle some relatively complex data sets.

Initially, I'm just working with a parameter that is restricted with an enumeration. I'd expected PHP to throw a SOAPFault when I fed in an invalid value for that parameter, but it seems not (and from what I can gather XSD support in libxml2 seems quite limited?)

So my question is how people here approach validation of complex types? Do you duplicate the schema rules in code? Do you use some sort of code generation? Are there extra libraries that can be used?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

thanks. James.

--
James Stewart