authentication: basic and digest

hello (i keep getting a message that my account is suspended, but i have sent about 3 messages to this list, all about SOAP, so im not too sure what i have done!)

Im doing well so far, i fixed the digest problem, just was something i was
doing wrong at the time.

My next question is to do with HTTP Digest authentication and Basic
Authentication. What im trying to do is contrast the differences between
using the two. The user selects if they want "basic" or "digest"
authentication, and just sticking both methods in an If statement and
executing one or the other authentication method depending on which the user
selects. So far basic authentication works, but i cannot seem to use digest
authentication. Im just following the samples from the php manual but digest
auth doesnt seem to want to work:

http://de3.php.net/manual/en/features.http-auth.php

to put it in pseudo so you can see what im getting at:

RESET all session variables

IF digestAuth {
    do digest authentication
} ELSE {
    do Basic Authentication
}

Any ideas? if it was the header i would be suprised seing as though the
header info for Basic Auth works ok. At the moment it goes to the 401 error
at the first die message.

Laura