Re: Re: Java/Oracle server, PHP 5.1.2 client, array of complexTypes, Deserializer error

Hi everyone,

I'm using PHP 5.1.x as a client and .NET 1.1 as a server; I also am writing both the client and server end of my application. While running basic tests I noticed this problem too, just with arrays of simple types like int and string, .NET's deserialiser will complain "No type associated with Xml key <yournamespace> ArrayOfString" or some such.

As has already been discussed in the thread, I traced the problem to the xsi:type attribute generated by PHP on the element in the SOAP request that wraps all the array items. I don't know if this is a PHP bug or a .NET/Java bug as I'm not a SOAP guru, but the very simple workaround I made goes as follows:

class DotNetSoapClient extends SoapClient
{
    public function __construct($wsdl, $options = array()) {
        parent::__construct($wsdl, $options);
    }

    public function __doRequest($request, $location, $action, $version)
    {
        $dom = DOMDocument::loadXML($request);
        $xpath = new DOMXPath($dom);

// Array serialisation: remove the xsi:type attribute from all arrays encoded using SOAP-ENC:arrayType // as this causes an "no type associated with Xml key"-type SOAP server error in .NET $nodes = $xpath->query('/SOAP-ENV:Envelope/SOAP-ENV:Body/*//*[@SOAP-ENC:arrayType and @xsi:type]');

        foreach ($nodes as $node)
            $node->removeAttribute('type');

        $request = $dom->saveXML();
return parent::__doRequest($request, $location, $action, $version);
    }
}

This workaround:

1. Requires no underlying knowledge of SOAP protocol to use (does not require you to form your own SOAP request)
2. Works with .NET and I assume works or is easily adapted for Java
3. Only generates one request/response roundtrip over the network
4. Can be used if you don't have access to the server

Since most web services in the real world use Java or .NET, I think that - even if this is a bug in their implementations and not PHP's - that it might be wise to at least include a flag in future versions of ext/soap that would allow the client developer to control how the request is serialised ("interop mode" or some such). From my naive perspective, that would seem to be a good compromise.

Hope the workaround helps someone anyway :-)

Katy.