Re: WSDL or URI

	Thanks Al,
Im reading out the Zend article (use the Build In is my option since I first planned my project.
	This article really enlighted my path, but I still with some doubts.

1) How quick is the information transport in this case? Im making a 4 layer application: Client[Java?]->PHP->PostGreSQL[PL]->PostGreSQL[Data]. Im using PHP cause I don't want people getting able to see what's inside my codes (basically all the system will be wrote in PL, few things in PHP), but I wanna know if is better to use SOAP or to use a PHP Web Site, that will run in any pc anyway.

2) Ok, I got the ideas about porttype will hold all functions (like the forward of pascal/delphi) but, how it works I mean,
	http://www.zend.com/php5/articles/php5-SOAP.php
here I have the getQuoteRequest and Response, but both work with getquote? How it work? Would be the REQUEST the controler to input data and RESPONSE the controller of output?
	In this case, the code changes anything?

	Thanks again
		Sid

Al Baker wrote:
Sidney, I realize you're frustrated, but please don't take that frustration out on the mailing list who will try to help you ;)

Now, let's get down to business. WSDL is Web Service Description Language, it describes web services. A Web Service is basically a set of operations (functions) that use some defined data (think schema) and communicate via messages (request, response). What the WSDL specifies is for a given service, located at a given URI, here are all the operations, the messages, the data types, etc. The beauty of WSDL is you can take a client, and dynamically bind to it. By bind, I mean the client will read the WSDL file and it will know how to call all the different operations of that WSDL and will automatically know all the data types. There is also static binding, where people write the client and server specifically to conform to the WSDL.

SOAP is an open XML protocol for defining an API - most often this API is RPC, meaning a procedure you call remotely, and get a response. So there'll be a request message, possibly with parameters, and a response message, possibly with some return data. It's all well-formed and well-defined XML, so you can use SOAP to talk between just about anything - PHP, Java, C++, C#, Perl, Python, etc. I recommend you use either the PEAR::SOAP package for PHP4 (available from pear.php.net/SOAP) or the built in soap extension in PHP5.

Here are some PEAR::SOAP tutorials:
http://www.sephiroth.it/tutorials/flashPHP/WebServicePEAR/
http://www.phppatterns.com/index.php/article/articleview/41/1/2/
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2003/07/03/php_amazon_soap.html?page=1
http://webservices.devchannel.org/webserviceschannel/04/02/11/1432220.shtml?tid=47&tid=51&tid=54 <http://webservices.devchannel.org/webserviceschannel/04/02/11/1432220.shtml?tid=47&tid=51&tid=54>

There's an excellent PHP5 SOAP extension article here:
http://www.zend.com/php5/articles/php5-SOAP.php

Good luck, I'm sure once you take a look at some of these articles, you'll see that SOAP is suposed to make things easier for you :)

Al