how to correctly invoke webservice

Hi!

Sorry if this question is too basic, but I'm having trouble on invoking
a webservice

I'm running PEAR::SOAP on PHP 4.3.10 under Linux

If I run the following code to invoke a webservice which returns a
string it works fine:

<?

require_once 'SOAP/Client.php';

$wsdl    = new
SOAP_WSDL('http://www.mydomain.com/mywebservice.asmx?WSDL');

$client = $wsdl->getProxy();

$reply = $client->myFunction('someString','someOtherString');

?>

now, if I replace the strings passed to myFunction by variables, it stops working and I recieve SOAP errors

I mean using this:

<?

require_once 'SOAP/Client.php';

$wsdl    = new
SOAP_WSDL('http://www.mydomain.com/mywebservice.asmx?WSDL');

$client = $wsdl->getProxy();

$string1 = 'someString';
$string2 = 'someOtherString';

$reply = $client->myFunction(string1 ,string2);

?>

There's very little info on this module on internet... what am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance,

Juan