Re: Architecture Question - Opinion

> Nick, Arnaud and (others),
>
> What I need is not relatively simple.  It will be heavily frequented, but I
> will have the luxury to have huge machines running the system.  It will be
> an application with the continual development of modules in that
> application.
>
> In regards to calls to the DB, most of the calls to the DB can be handled
> with one SOAP call so there (hopefully) would not be multiple transmissions.
> Speed will be important, but there is a threshold, that if I can stay over,
> SOAP will be fine.  I also want to use SQL Relay to help speed up the back
> end process.
>
> SQL Relay
> http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/
> http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/sqlrelay/introduction.htm

It looks interesting. I never heard of it before so i've no idea about it.

> The other methodology that I am tinkering with is an XML/XSLT solution.
> Where the app server sends and receives custom XML that can be parsed by a
> specific XSLT page.  I have been with a company that has done this before
> with success.  What I do not  like is the ridged XSLT language and the fact
> that the XML is not easily interoperable because it will be so custom.

Well, writing a DTD, Schema or Relax-NG you can make it easier for others to cisume it i guess.

> I see a real issue here taking PHP to the next level using N-Tier
> methodology.  Another question in my mind is, where is the biggest
> performance issue in the PHP SOAP architecture - the SOAP package
> creation/translation or the HTTP transmission between servers.  If it is the
> HTTP transmission, can I over come that with fiber or gigabit networks.  If
> it is the creation/translation, would moving to PHP5 (better OO and XML
> support) or using the C implementation of XML-RPC help that?

We use a webservice at work over the net and through a firewall, i also don't know what servers are running on the other side (except that they are windows servers under .net). But i find the performance low.

On the other hand we also use simple xml-rpc between two machines on their vlan an it's pretty fast. And as i said it's simple calls.

That said on a pricate network the http transmission shouldn't be a problem depending on the enveloppe size.

I haven't tried php5 so i can't say anything. Shane has started work on the new SOAP which will use php5 extensively (and only run with php5) but it's not ready yet.

Having used both xml-rpc and soap (to a lesser extent) i find xml-rpc pretty easy to use and performing well. It all depends on what you want to do.

> I feel like I am missing a solution out there.  Is there any other way PHP
> can be integrated into a 3-tier architecture?

SRM http://www.vl-srm.net/ might be useful to you.

http://www.derickrethans.nl/srm-montreal/talk.html

It will let you run a script to which you can connect etc. The document in the second link should be useful.

Arnaud.