Re: Architecture Question - Opinion

> All,
>
> 	I originally sent this to the DB list, but I want to hear anyone's opinion
> here.
>
>     I am considering moving to a true 3-tier structure where the web server
> does not have direct access to the database server - many times a government
> requirement.  I want to keep the PHP front end and use an application server
> (middle tier) to handle all the DB calls and sessions.  I could use Java or
> something for the middle layer, but I do not really want to.  I would like
> to implement a PHP application server sitting on top of SQL Relay for
> pooling and DB abstraction to reduce the need to have more expertise
> necessary for implementation.  Interoperability is important, but not 100%
> necessary.
>
>     With all that being said, what do you think is the best method of
> communication between PHP and the application server.  Just to throw it out
> there, I have thought about SOAP and XML-RPC.  I like SOAP better because it
> can decrease payload a great deal by not having to use the whole struct
> method and it is more complex.  But the XML-RPC functions are written in C
> and the SOAP are in PHP.  PHP 5 has better object orientation and new XML
> libs so the SOAP functions should run much faster, but still not native.
>
>     What are your thoughts?

Well, doing all the db call via a soap or xml-rpc interface will be slow. If you just have a few queries it is not a big deal, but on a site with lots of queries and/or heavily frequented it will be different.

I wonder why governments fear so much. You make a few views and restrict a user/pass to access only those views.

Anyway, if speed is important and wha tyou need is relatively simple the xml-rpc might be best.

Arnaud.