2 questions about SOAP_Values

I'm still very new to SOAP, but I have to dive deep into it immediately,
because our business partner is writing a (to my current knowledge) pretty
complex SOAP server, to which I have to talk with a PEAR::SOAP client.

As all methods provided with their service expect me to pass complexTypes, I
figured out I have to write custom mapping classes with a __to_soap method.
Now my question is, what is the difference between the name and the type of
the SOAP_Value i have to generate from my PHP class, when the argument to
serialize is a complexType?

In Shane's "Person" example from phptalks i see "x_Person" and "Person",
x_Person presumably being the XML element name and "Person" its type. But in
my partner's WSDL (the only thing they have at the moment, no server yet) i
see only complexTypes with names, and logically, no types (because they're
complexTypes?).

Another thing I'm wondering about (not sure if I will run in to it), is how
to serialize PHP objects that have references to other PHP objects as member
variables, which a serializable themselves, if you know what I mean. Do I
have to call __to_soap on those members from within the parent's __to_soap
method, or will that be taken care of automagically?

JW