PEAR::SOAP_Server and fsockopen() errors

Hello everybody,

I am writing some web services derived from PEAR::SOAP_Server
objects, which are themselves clients to a number of other
web services. These web services to which the SOAP_Server
is a client are not always available all of the time,
therefore I would like to check that the target machines are
available before calling them.

To do this, I've used a simple call to fsockopen(), like
this:

$foo = fsockopen($host, $port);
if ($foo == false) { // not available; }
else { fclose($foo); // call web service }

However, when I put this code inside a class derived from
SOAP_Server, when fsockopen() fails to open a socket it
generates a SOAP_Fault (which is serialized and output)
and exits the script. This happens even if I prepend
fsockopen() with the @ symbol.

If I try to skip this step and just call the service, a
similar failure occurs within HTTP/Request.php when it
calls fsockopen() to send the SOAP request.

How can I alter the behaviour of the script so that when
a socket fails to open, it just returns false as normal,
so that I can do my own error processing? Any help with
this appreciated!

Best,

Chris.