PEAR::SOAP - Using SOAP_Value in Objects

Referring to Shane Caraveo's presentation here: http://talks.php.net/show/soap-phpcon-ny2003/48

Is the function __to_soap(), if implemented in one of my objects, honored by the PEAR SOAP Server, if I were to expose this object via SOAP?

I ask because I am in the middle of re-writing an application, and I want to seperate the business logic from the presentation logic. The objects will primarily be accessed directly by other PHP scripts. The intent is then for these scripts to use XSLT to transform XML into HTML, allowing total customization of the front end.

I also want to have the ability to expose the objects' functionality through SOAP. At the same time, I would like to keep the XML API consistent weather the objects are accessed locally or through SOAP. I had thought of having the objects return XML, but that makes the objects themselves less reusable, and the API subject to change with the functioning of the objects. I also don't want to expose these objects as a Doc/Lit service.

So, it seems the best way to me to keep a consistent XML API is to use the __to_soap() function in my objects, assuming that the PEAR SOAP Server would use these functions when serializing objects. So, does the PEAR SOAP Server honor this function if present?