[SOAP] WSDL server having trouble sending emails

Hi,

I have a wsdl server with some basic functions one of which sends (or at
least tries to send) an email at some point before returning the response.
The function itself works just fine (without sending the email obviously).

Sending the email is done using a home made function that works perfectly on
its own and in case you're interested, looks like this :

PHP___________
function sendNotification ($someVar)
{
    $text = "some text, ".$someVar;
    $crlf = "\r\n";
    $hdrs = array(
                'From'    => 'fromfield',
                'Subject' => 'subject'
                );
    $mime = new Mail_mime($crlf);
    $mime->setTXTBody($text);
    $body = $mime->get();
    $hdrs = $mime->headers($hdrs);
    $mail =& Mail::factory('mail');
    $mail->send('luis@tukal.com', $hdrs, $body);      // This is the line
that creates the soap fault
}
______________

As I said before, this function works fine out of the soap context.
This is the skeleton of the server :

PHP_________________________
function sendNotification ($someVar) { ... }
class SOAP_Webservice {
    function test() {
        $someVar = "teststring";
        sendNotification($someVar);
    }
}

I don't know if i should be posting this here but since I can't figure out
if it's soap related, if not I apologize for the incovenience.

Thanks in advance.

Luis