Incorporating latest version of sqlite.c and making a sqlite3.so for php

Trying to build the latest released version, how should I go about doing
it? Currently I installed the php5-sqlite package on ubuntu 14.04 but its a
bit outdated and its not working correctly with the c++ library properly
(can't open the DB while c++ app is running even when both parties opened
the DB in r/w mode).  Are there any official documentation on how to build
the so for php ?

Thanks all

Ratin