Any method to get primary key matching a given value ?

I'm writing the generic get that works on different tables having different
primary keys but the argument of get is always the primary key , i.e. get
request is -

get (column name, value)

the value is always the primary key value.

It looks like it would be a pretty standard method but I cant find a method
like that. Anybody have any clue?

Thanks

Ratin