Re: Newbie Question $2

On 6/18/2014 2:16 PM, Aziz Saleh wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Karl DeSaulniers <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Sent from losPhone

On Jun 18, 2014, at 7:56 AM, Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 6/18/2014 12:31 AM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
On 06/17/2014 12:02 PM, onatawahtaw@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Ethan,

Here are some things to clean up your code:

Your line:

$phn = $_POST[phone];

should use quotations as follows:

$phn = $_POST['phone'];

Your line:

$sql1 ='select Lname, Fname from Customers where Phone = $Phn ';

Should use double quotes if you need the variable to be interpreted:

$sql1 ="select Lname, Fname from Customers where Phone = $Phn ";

Lastly, as people have mentioned PDO is probably the best way to go.
Try connecting to your database with PDO. Look on Google for "PDO
prepared statements" and use those instead of the mysql escape string
method.

Hope this helps,

-Kevin

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
IT WORKS!!!

Here is the code -

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

<?php
   $bla = 1;
?>
     <head>
     </head>
             <form method="post">
             <input type='text' name=phone></input>
             <input type='submit'>
             </form>
<?php
             error_reporting(-1);
             require '/home/ethan/PHP/ethan.inc';
             $db = "Store";
             $cxn = mysqli_connect($host,$user,$password,$db);

             $phn = $_POST[phone];
             $phn = (string)$phn;
             $dsh = '-';
             $Phn =

$phn[0].$phn[1].$phn[2].$dsh.$phn[3].$phn[4].$phn[5].$dsh.$phn[6].$phn[7].$phn[8].$phn[9];

             $sql1 ="select Lname, Fname from Customers where Phone =
'$Phn' ";
             $result1 = mysqli_query($cxn, $sql1);
             if(!$result)
             {
?>

                 <strong>No Match Found</strong>
<?php
             }

?>
rules="all" frame="box">
             <th>Last Name</th>
             <th>First Name</th>
<?php

             while($row1 = mysqli_fetch_row($result1))
             {

                 $Lname     = $row1[0];
                 $Fname     = $row1[1];

?>              <tr>
<?php
               }
?>

As you [those that replied] accurately noted, the problem was with the
quoting.

I appreciate all your comments, take them seriously and will use the
information contained in them for future programming.

No matter how much skill in programming I have, I will remain a NEWBIE;
ie, someone who wishes to grrow in knowledge and acknowledges that there
are many programmers much more skilled than I.

Thanks again.

Ethan
happy to hear you got it working.  Sad to see that you didn't heed the
tips provided to you and alter your code, and that you still have errors in
it.  oh, well....

Wow. Just wow. I though when I signed up on this list that if I did what
Ethan did I would be shunned from the list. But I guess I was wrong. You
can be an ask hole on here and people will still try and help. Kudos to the
good souls who try.

Karl

There are lots of people who have free time on their hands to teach the
basics, which I think is a good thing. Personally, if someone doesn't care
enough to read the manual or attempt to understand the basics, I wouldn't
spend too much time on their problems.

And despite Ethan's continual ignorance of the manual and the basic principles espoused by those taking the time to respond to him we still do it. Aren't we all amazing?