Re: Re: mysql query

On 08/22/2013 11:54 AM, Jim Giner wrote:
On 8/22/2013 9:52 AM, Jim Giner wrote:
On 8/21/2013 7:48 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
Dear List -

I can't figure this out....

mysql> describe Inventory;
+-------------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field       | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| UPC         | varchar(14) | YES  |     | NULL |       |
| quant       | int(5)      | NO   |     | NULL |       |
| manuf       | varchar(20) | YES  |     | NULL |       |
| item        | varchar(50) | YES  |     | NULL |       |
| orderpt     | tinyint(4)  | NO   |     | NULL |       |
| ordrpt_flag | tinyint(3)  | YES  |     | NULL |       |
| stock       | int(3)      | YES  |     | NULL |       |
+-------------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+

Here are code snippets -

                           $upc   = $_SESSION['UPC'];
                           $qnt   = $_POST['quant'];
                           $mnf   = $_POST['manuf'];
                           $itm   = $_POST['item'];
                           $odrpt = $_POST['oderpt'];
                           $opf   = $_POST['ordrpt_flag'];
                           $stk    = $_POST['stock'];

                           $sql2 = "insert into Inventory (UPC, quant,
manuf, item, orderpt, ordrpt_flag, stock)"
                                 ."values ('$upc', $qnt,'$mnf','$itm',
odrpt, 0, $stk)";
                           $result2 = mysqli_query(cxn, $sql2);
                           echo '$sql2<br />';
                           print_r($sql2);
                           echo "<br />$upc $qnt $mnf $itm $odrpt $opf
$stk<kbr />";
                           if (!$result2)
                                 die('Could not enter data: ' .
mysqli_error());

The mysql query fails.  I cannot figure out why.  It works from the
command line.

TIA

Ethan

Ethan - you are simply missing two dollar signs as pointed out. Once
you correct them, if there are any more errors you should then be seeing
the message from mysqli_error.

And as for the advice to dump single quotes, I'd ignore it.  The use of
double and single quotes is a very handy feature and makes for very
readable code.  Escaping double quotes is such a royal pia and makes for
more trouble deciphering code later on.  The sample you provided for us
is some of the best and most understandable code you've ever showed us.

Also - Ethan - if you used an editor that was designed for php you probably would have seen these missing $ signs since a good one would highlight php syntax and the lack of the $ would have produced a different color than you expected.

Jim -

I used Netbeans. All it said is "variable unused is scope", which is a error that I often find does not mean anything. I am as pressurized as you are. Any suggestions as to an editor?

Ethan