Re: Re: PDO Exceptions

On 4/24/2013 10:04 AM, Lars Nielsen wrote:
On 4/24/2013 9:43 AM, Lars Nielsen wrote:
On 4/22/2013 11:55 AM, Onatawahtaw wrote:
Greetings,

I am new to this list. I have a question about which functions need to
be included in a try block.

Of "new PDO", "prepare", "bindParam", "execute", "fetch", and "query",
it seems that bindParam is the only one that throws an exception. So
is
this the only that needs to be put into a try block?

Thanks,

-KJW
Proverbs 3:5-6

Since nobody else has offered anything, I'll give you my impression of
how a try handles things.

If the statement(s) within the try block fail in any way (such as
simply
returning a 'false' value), the try block's catch will be executed.  So
while the items you specified do not "throw an exception", I believe
the
try will still handle a failure of those functions.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm positive we'll start seeing responses to
your question.  :)

Hi Jim,

I agree that failures would normally be catched as an exception. But how
do/can you determine if "false" is a failure?

/Lars

It's not a question of Me determining that.  If the original function
returned "false" then the try should catch it and in your 'catch' block
you can display a message and show the php error.  In the case where you
expect a 'false' return, then just reverse your try condition, and
display the appropriate message (without a php error messsage).  Or even
simpler, just use an If statement.

If the functions inside your try block doesnt throw anything, then your
code will not enter the catchblock. It does not depend on what your
function return, but what they throw.
/Lars

If that is true then  I learned something today.  :)