Re: [PHP] Shopping Cart Discount System

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Karl DeSaulniers <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> Hope all are well. Quick and hopefully painless question.
> Is there any examples on how to build a discount system
> into your shopping cart out there that anyone knows of?
> I am using MySQL and PHP. I have built one of my own so far,
> but am having trouble making sense of what goes where.
>
> For example. If a product has miscellaneous charges,
> lets say.. glitter is extra on your shirt.
> How is discounts applied? I mean, as far as discounts go,
> lets say its 20% a shirt and this shirt has glitter.
> Is it best practice to apply the discount to just the shirt
> or the shirt and glitter as a combo discount.
> I know this is somewhat dependent on the owners choice
> of what he/she wants to give the discount on,
> but my question is of the programing of it.
> Do I build conditions for the shirt to get a discount applied
> then the miscellaneous charges, or combine the totals of the two,
> then apply the discount to the sum?
>
> Then lets say there is a cart discount also being applied.
> Is it best practice to apply this to the total of items then
> add the shipping, rush charges and tax, or to the total of the whole cart
> including shipping, rush charges then add the tax after applying the
> discount?

These sound much more like business operating questions than
programming questions, per se. I think it really depends a lot on what
other businesses in the same niche as yours do, or if you can find
out. Once you have figured out the business practices, coding them
should be easier, I'd say, but doing it the other way 'round seems
like would lead to confusion.

Some questions from a really non-business person:

1. Why are you offering discounts at all? What do you hope to
accomplish by offering discounts?
2. Who qualifies for which discounts and why?
3. Do discounts apply to just the base merchandise, or the whole end
piece, with whatever customisations it might have, and if so or if
not, why?
4. Are there different discount rates applied to base merchandise and
subsequent customisations, and if so, why?
5. Is there any reason to make this complicated, or instead just offer
a flat rate discount on final price, before taxes and S&H?