Mysterious 5 second delay on sybase_connect()

Hi there.  I'm working on a PHP-driven project on Debian Squeeze that
connects to an instance of Microsoft SQL Server on Windows Server 2008.
I'm using the sybase extensions to PHP.

Since I rebooted the webserver on the weekend, both the sybase_connect()
and sybase_pconnect() commands will sometimes take exactly 5 seconds to
execute.  It seems to be random whether they do this or not.  I can't
think of anything that could have been changed by the reboot, unless a
package was updated but its associated process never got restarted...

Does anyone know what might cause this behaviour?

Cheers,
Tom Lloyd