Re: Prepared Statements

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Ron Piggott
<ron.piggott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have two questions about Prepared Statements from the code below:
>
> #1:
> The purpose of the first $query is to determine if the authorization code supplied is both accurate and also live
> - When the authorization code is generated it is given a time frame when it must be used in.  The columns `start_date` and  `end_date` are both DATETIME.  This is why I am using NOW() to check the “shelf life”.
>
> My question: Is there a better way to confirm the record was found than using:
>
> if ( $row['authorization_code'] == $authorization_code ) {

This check doesn't make sense, since you're SQL query already checks
this, and won't return rows where $row['authorization_code'] !=
$authorization_code

> In another way of executing a mySQL database query using PHP I can count the # rows the result brought with the command “mysql_numrows”.  I don’t know how to do this in Prepared Statements.  I wonder if comparing the # of rows found is a better method? or what other programmers are using?

$stmt->rowCount(); will return the number of rows. I would recommend
this way of checking.

> #2:
> How can I tell if the UPDATE $query executed successfully?  I am wanting to do something like:
>
> echo “Update Successful – No changes were required during this review”;
>
> if the UPDATE is successful --- otherwise I need to direct the user to try again with a different message:
>
> echo “Update was unsuccessful – Follow this link to try again”;

$stmt->execute() will return either true or false, depending on if the
query was successfully executed. Currently, you're code will print an
error with some error info and terminate the script. You're probably
looking for something like this:
if($stmt->execute()) {
echo “Update Successful – No changes were required during this review”;
} else {
 echo “Update was unsuccessful – Follow this link to try again”;
}

> I am still getting use to Prepared Statements, this is why I am asking these questions --- Thank you for helping me.  Ron

Hope this helps you out. Feel free to ask for more help.

Matijn