Re: Simple MySQL sample code runs out of memory

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM,  <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Something more fundamental is going on.
>
> Here is simpler code which still reproduces the problem.
> I get:
>
> PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20 bytes) in xx3.php on line 26
>
> What's up with that?

Hmm, okay, I haven't worked with such huge datasets in MySQL and PHP
before, so now I'm speculating here.

If the dataset is so huge that it's eating up all your memory, perhaps
you need to cycle through the data base using limits, and process it
in chunks, and release each dataset as you're done processing it. I
know I've had to do that with Oracle databases before that were
storing 100's of millions of records. It's rather like pagination for
displaying data, only in this case you can have much much higher
chunks than a displayed page.