Re: Working with large datasets

Jason Pruim wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>

> I am working with a database that has close to 8 million records in it and
> it will be growing. I have a state field in the data, and I am attempting
> to test some query's on it, all but 2 records right now have the same
> state.
>
> My test info won't get pulled up... I believe it keeps timing out the
> connection.
>
> Is there any advice for working with large datasets? I'm wanting this to
> be able to load quickly.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Jason Pruim
> lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nobody else has mentioned it yet, so I'll throw EXPLAIN into the mix.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/using-explain.html

Amongst other things "With the help of EXPLAIN, you can see where you should
add indexes to tables so that the statement executes faster by using
indexes to find rows."

Cheers
--
David Robley

"I've been to San Francisco" said Tom heartlessly.
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 65th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3177.