Re: Re: Listing parent ids

""Arno Kuhl"" <arno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:DB930522404B4552B8A15AF991C57E30@point01...

> Hi Jim. Only one linked list of parentids. No siblings.
> Multiple records can have the same parentid, but that doesn't play a role.

Okay.  So you want only one 'family tree' at any given time, and a tree is a
straight line, ie, it has no branches.

Sounds to me like a loop surrounding a query that seeks out a specific id
which is continually re-evaluated from the last-read record's parentid.  As
each query result is obtained (one record), the pair of keys is saved in an
array.

Curiousity has me asking - what are the contents of these records that such
a structure works?  To me, this 'parentid' sounds like a foreign key, which
is usually used to read a separate table in a normalized db.    Your
response that "multiple records can have the same parentid" is the same as a
"1-M" relationship, which implies the need for normalization.  Apparently
your situation has normalized everything(?) into one table.