using PDO vs mysql extension

Hi,

I want to build an internal module for common DB-involved tasks: starting
with connection, simple queries and go on to multiple pages of results and
connecting tables and so on.

We are currently working with MySQL but maybe in the future we'll add use of
MSSQL (but it's negligible in comparison with the MYSQL percentage of use).
I wonder if to base my functions on the abstract layer of PDO or to use
mysql function (means "mysql_connect" and so on).
As I see it, mysql functions are more readable and comfortable, but in this
case : using MSSQL in the future would affect with new DB module with
another implementation.

What do would do in such a situation??

I would also like to to hear yours recommendation about ORM projects like
Doctrine, Propel and others.
Thanks,
Miriam