Re: NULL to 0 result

On 14 December 2010 21:53, Ron Piggott <ron.piggott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What change is needed to this query so if âcurrently_in_rssâ is NULL it will be assigned a value of 0
>
> SELECT `reference`, COUNT(`reference`) AS currently_in_rss FROM `ministry_profiles` WHERE `rss_feed_include` = 1 GROUP BY `rss_feed_include`
>
> Ron

Doesn't that query give you an error saying that `reference` isn't in
the GROUP BY clause? I use MS SQL, so the wording my be different but
it would be along the lines of ...

For the SQL statement : SELECT POH_Contract, COUNT(POH_Contract) FROM
[BV-CLUSTER-SQL].Contracts.dbo.POP_Header WHERE POH_Status = 1 GROUP
BY POH_Status

Column 'bv-cluster-sql.contracts.dbo.pop_header.POH_CONTRACT' is
invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an
aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.

So, fixing the query ...

SELECT POH_Contract, COUNT(POH_Contract) FROM
[BV-CLUSTER-SQL].Contracts.dbo.POP_Header WHERE POH_Status = 1 GROUP
BY POH_Status, POH_Contract

now works.

So, your query may need to be

SELECT `reference`, COUNT(`reference`) AS currently_in_rss FROM
`ministry_profiles` WHERE `rss_feed_include` = 1 GROUP BY
`rss_feed_include`, `reference`

Normally COUNT() will count NULLs, but as you are grouping by the
counted column, nulls would be in their own row.

Richard.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend