Data Migration

Hello All,
I was wondering if I could get some pointers on the best/safest method to migrate data on a fairly simple scale. I have a registration form that gets submitted. I want to take that info and store it in a table as a sort of Que. if you will. When the application is approved, I want to have something set up for the owner or his employees to access and be able to activate the account. Behind the scenes, the info from the registration table is simply moved to the users table and an email is sent out.

What would be the simplest way to migrate the data between the tables?
Is there a bulk way to move data in PHP? Or is that best/safest done in MySQL?

Examples, tuts, keywords appreciated.
TIA

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm