Creating an INDEX on multiple tables?

Is it possible to create one index on multiple tables?  I am trying to create a search function for my web site.  The data the user needs to be able to search is stored in multiple tables.  I would like to be able to use "MATCH / AGAINST", like the query below I found online.

SELECT firstname, lastname,comments FROM users WHERE MATCH(firstname,lastname,comments) AGAINST ('$searchterm')

Ron