include_path in appache.conf

This may be an apache question but I'd like to find the php answer first if one exists.

I have several virtual hosts on a dedicated server. In a IFmodule mod_php5c container in an httpd.conf include file I have the following to create a unique include path for each virtual host:

IfModule mod_php5.c>
 php_value include_path ".:/home/virtual/site#/path/to/include"
 php_admin_flag safe_mode off
</IfModule>

For one of the virtual hosts I've set up a dev site in a subdomain at dev.site#.com for development. In the root directory of this development site I have an .htacces file to create another unique include_path solely for this development subdomain.

php_value include_path  ".:/home/virtual/site#/path/to/dev/includes"

Also in the httpd.conf I have
   <Directory /home/virtual/site#/path/to/dev/root/>
       Allow from all
       AllowOverride All
       Order allow,deny
   </Directory>

The configuration is CentOS 5.3, Apache/2.2.3, PHP 5.1.6

I recently upgraded the OS from FC6 and the PHP version and I have not been able to get the include_path to change for this dev.subdomain. Even after restarting apache it PHPinfo tells me it is reading the server php.ini and the virtual host include path for the httpd.conf but it is ignoring the .htaccess file. I've even tried putting the php.ini with specific settings in the /home/virtual/site#/root directory to no avail.

Any ideas how to make this work or even a better set up?

Thanks in advance.