Re: Local version of php/mysql site

On Sep 21, 2009, at 6:51 PM, Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Zeth Lietzau wrote:
Hi all,
I've developed a web site where users complete a web form which pushes their data into a MySQL database. At the back end they can run reports of their input from this database. At the high end, users enter input into the form a few hundred times a day. Our site has about 99% uptime, but users have been asking for the development of a local version for them to use during the 1% downtime. Basically, I need to recreate the form so that upon submission is writes the data to a file on the users machine, which can then be uploaded to the site when it's back up. Does anyone have any resources that I could
use to get started with this?

You can't write to the local machine without using activex or a java applet (maybe flash or silverlight will allow it as well, not sure). Your browser won't allow it.

Even if you could, your form is still on your webserver - which is unavailable anyway.

You can write to the web server filesystem and then have that file for download, but that still requires the website working.

I don't have any suggestions about how to get around those, all I can think of is the client either installs it locally on their desktop (using WAMP if they are on windows for easy apache/php/mysql installs) or provide a version they can run on one of their own servers in-house.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

This sounds like a job for AIR. You can pass back the data as XML for the initial load into the local SQLlite db. Then periodically add to it throughput the day. All the processing will need to be handled by either the db or JS.

The local db can also be loaded and then synced up to the master when needed

Bastien

Sent from my iPod