Re: losing MySQL resource

Niel Archer wrote:
I'm maintaining a session.  I successfully connect to a database ($DBConnect
= mysql_connect()).  I save the connection resource in a session variable
($_SESSION['connection'] = $DBConnect) ... to use in subsequent queries.  It
remains valid while the user is on the current page.
print_r($_SESSION['connection']) yields 'Resource id #3', for instance.

User browses to a new page ... in the same session.  $_SESSION['$DBConnect']
no longer references a valid mysql resource.
print_r($_SESSION['connection']) yields '0'.

Other "ordinary" values saved in $_SESSION variables remain valid.

Is there something special about a mysql resource?

Not about the resource itself, no. PHP closes connections to a Db when a
script ends, unless the connection is persistent, so while the resource
IS saved, the connection to which it refers no longer exists.

No resources (whether they are persistent or not) can be stored in the session.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/intro.session.php

The big pink box has more info.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials