Re: mysql_query returning empty result after DELETE

Stan wrote:
I did a "DELETE FROM picture" where "picture" is a table in my database.

Because this deletes all your records - so doing a select afterwards will find nothing.

Afterward, this piece of code does not generate an error
try
      {
      $query = "SELECT * FROM picture p " .
                          "WHERE p.pictureFile='" . $pictureFile . "'";
      $thisRow =
              mysql_query($query, $pictures_connection);
      }
      catch(Exception $e)
             {
             echo 'caught exception: ',  $e->getMessage()."\n";
             $result = False;
             }

an empty result set is fine - it means no records found. It will not generate an exception.

I'm not sure when mysql will generate an exception either, mysql_query returns FALSE if the query fails (see http://www.php.net/mysql_query). You then have to use mysql_error to get the reason why it failed.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/