Mysql multiple queries Vs. Query in multi-dimensional array

Hello all,
I have an enterprise application that needs to be optimized/re- engineered. In the process of re-designing the framework, i stumbled across the idea of storing large mysql result sets in multi- dimensional arrays for easy/quick reference.

Basically, my application polls the database looking for 1 of up to 3 documents for each day in the reporting period (1 to 4 weeks) for multiple clients, and follows a complex hierarchy based on the document and related information returned. One of the areas i imagine i am losing resources is in the queries sent to the database where no result is returned.

My idea involves grabbing all of each document within the reporting period, and storing each type in its own multi-dimensional array with all other documents of the same type. Then, throughout the report, i would check array keys for results instead of querying the database. It sounds like a sensible solution for taking some of the 20000+ queries of each report, but i'm not sure if the gains would be offset by the demands on RAM due to the large arrays.

Drew Stokes: Web Development at MPCS
contact | drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | 818.792.4135
The information contained in this email message and its attachments is intended only for the private and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above, unless the sender expressly agrees otherwise. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient and/or you have received this email in error, you must take no action based on the information in this email and you are hereby notified that any dissemination, misuse, copying, or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email and delete the original message.