Re: html input element rendering html entities

I've got a form that loads and saves product data to mysql. In some fields
like the heading and subhead we use special characters like Omega,
Registered Trademark, and Ampersand. When putting the data in I will encode them as Ω, etc. Once saved, all is good, everything goes ok and will display correctly in the user interface. However, if I go back to edit that product, in the html input element, it will actually display the character rather than the entity code (although when checking the source, the html entity is coded correctly). Then when it is saved, it saves as the illegal
character

I am newbie here, but isn't it that you just need to save at this ^^ point the same way that you saved the data in the first place?
If it worked the first time, why not now?

and will serve up a few funky characters in the user interface and
in the database.

I have the code stripping out tags and I tried to use the
mysql_real_escape_string to no avail.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?
PHP Version 5.1.6*MySQL 5.0.19*