Overriding Built-In Functions and making db connection local

Hello,

I'm searching for a possibility to override build-in function.PECL APD isn't a possible solution for me. Is there any other possibility to override a built-in function or to disallow the call without manipulation the php.ini?

My second problem is that it is needed for a special framework that the conenction to a database isn't set global. I need it to ensure that every databasecall is through my class.
Is there any possibility for this?