php crashes on mysql_connect

Hi Folks,

I've been banging against this for a while and have narrowed it down to a
completely repeatable and tiny test case.

The issue is that any mysql_connect call hangs and causes a segmentation
fault in php5ts.dll.  Here are the specifics:

I am running on Windows XP, SP2, Single Athlon 64 3200+ CPU.  I have
recently installed the following:

MySQL version 5.1.30 for Win32
Apache version 2.2.10 for Win32
PHP 5.2.8

I have tried both the zip file and the msi installer to install PHP, more
recently the MSI installer.  I added the GD, mysql, mysqli and multi-byte
string extensions.

I have configured Apache & MySQL and have created some databases, which I
can access through mysql and Navicat.  I have used a simple phpinfo.php
script to track down an incorrect libmysql.dll in my path and have
eliminated that and have verified that the client version of libmysql is
5.1.30 in phpinfo.

I have a tiny script to test the mysql connectivity from php:

<?php
mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'root');
print('Past mysql_connect');
?>

but if I run this through apache, httpd.exe crashes with the following error
(recorded in the application event log)

Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.10.0, faulting module
php5ts.dll, version 5.2.8.8, fault address 0x0000ac5a.

And if I run it from the command line with

c:\>>php -f test_db_connection.php

I get a very similar error in the application event log:

Faulting application php.exe, version 5.2.8.8, faulting module php5ts.dll,
version 5.2.8.8, fault address 0x0000ac5a.

I've not been able to get a backtrace for the crash and I don't have a
debugger into which I can build and put php.

I would greatly appreciate some ideas on how I can figure out where the
problem lies.  I belive that I have narrowed the problem down to a very
straight database connection issue and was pretty certain that it had to do
with an old libmysql.dll on my path, until I tracked the bugger down and
eliminated it, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Yours,

Peter