It takes the blink of an eye. It seems like none of the string is running at all.

Also, yeah, the slashes thing used to trip me up, too, when I first started working around Linux boxes. However, the file *is* being created and it is in the right place, just nothing in it.

Ken

On Dec 10, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Yves Sucaet wrote:

Hi Ken,

How long does the mysqldump operation last? Maybe it's a script timeout problem? And maybe you have different settings on both machines?

Other idea: what about pathnames? Linux uses "/" to separate paths, Windows uses "\".

That's all I have for now,

Yves

----- Original Message ----- From: "phphelp -- kbk" <phphelp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:32 AM
Subject:  MySQLDump through PHP/HTML UI

Hello - - -- -

I have a utility which creates a MySQLDump of selected tables or the whole database. This works fine on my development machine, a W2K box. It does not work on the testing server, a linux box.

I'll post code if you want, but it is very simple:

1. I create the "dump" language, including the file into which the data is dumped into a variable.

2. I perform system($dump_language). I also tried it exec ($dump_language). Both produce the same result:

The file is created (the directory is one for which the application has r/w rights). In Windoze, the file is complete and perfect. On the Linux box, only the header information of the dump file is written, nothing about any database or table.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Ken