Fwd: Fwd: MySQLi not closing connections

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Fergus Gibson <fgibson75@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd:  MySQLi not closing connections
To: Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not really true.
>
> pconnect leaves the connection open ('persistent'). From the manual: "when
> connecting, the function would first try to find a (persistent) link that's
> already open with the same host, username and password."

Here's a citation from Zend.com:

"The mysql_pconnect() function was designed to provide a mechanism for
reducing the cost of establishing and closing connections to the MySQL
server. Unfortunately, due to an interaction between the architecture
of the Apache server and the architecture of PHP, high traffic on a
site that used pconnects could quickly clog up the MySQL server with
many unused connections that could prevent many of the active
connections from accessing the database."

http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/686#fn1

I understand how mysql_pconnect() is meant to work, which is what you
quote from the documentation, but I also believe the claims that there
is an incompatibility between Apache specifically and
mysql_pconnect().