Universal Update / Delete Script

Hey There -
I could use some suggestions / advice here. I have to create several update and delete scripts for two different areas of a site. For example "Update the News, Update an Event, Delete News, Delete Event" and so on. Instead of writing 4 separate scripts that updates and / or deletes records in MySQL, what would be the best approach in having an 2 universal scripts that updates and another one that just deletes?

Does this make sense?

Here's a breakdown:
Events - Update / Delete (events table)
News - Update / Delete (news table)