Re: When does using multiple tables make sense?

Jason Pruim wrote:
So my question is... When is it best to use more tables? All the info will be related to each other, so I think I would be looking at either a many-to-many relationship, or a many-to-one relationship (still figuring that out).

One thing that I've realised make sense is to have a 'sub-table' for things like phone number, email, fax and the like. All too often we have two phone numbers or different email addresses, so a four field table with
ID number, type of info, info, note
This way one can add as many info fields of any different type to a client/contact record. The type of info field flags things like primary phone. Address details often need the same treatment as well, but I use UK post code as a key for the bulk of that information so it just goes into a another info field.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL