Re: databases and XML

XML handles hierarchical structuring of data, a relational database
system handles relational structuring of data. Imho, usage of any of
these methods depend on the requirements of the system to be built.
That being said, I'm not sure what the real need would be for, like
you say, a database only accessible through XML/XQuery (with which I
assume you mean storing XML and retrieving it through XQuery). I say
this because this is exactly what an XML file is: it stores the XML -
in a file on your HD - and many interfaces provide access to it
through XQuery - like javascript.

What would be very cool is to see a fast PHP module implementing
XQuery. As for as I know there is no such solution at this moment,
just a couple of PHP libraries - so a solution on a level too high to
be considered useful for production. On the other hand, development of
these standards is going very very fast...

Intersting subject though.